A sampling of histories of the Church of St. Anne in Morrison, Illinois
from various sources
St. Anne’s Episcopal Church goes back informally to Civil War times. For many years following the great conflict, a group of worshippers met in homes and read morning and evening prayer services. When their number increased, they rented quarters. As late as 1880, the Diocesan Journal listed Morrison as an unorganized mission.
The building remained essentially the same through the years. Repairs were made but St. Anne’s is the St. Anne’s that an earlier generation knew. A parsonage was acquired next to the church about 1955. The vicar has been full time and resident since 1954. Confirmation, Sunday School and Discussion Classes are held. St. Anne’s Guild is active in church work.
**From a: Handwritten History found in The Canonical Church Register (Register #2 1904-1993)
History of St. Ann’s Mission by Marcus M. Lucas (1956)
The character of the investments was such that today the endowment of St. Ann’s is valued around $74,000. This includes a small fund called the Ann Burr Fund.
Recent pastors of the Church have been Frs. Church, Hibish, Thayer, Sculley, Bungen, Wetherell, Morford.
Rev. K.A. Morford came to Morrison and Sterling in 1942. After serving here at first he entered the armed forces as chaplain, spending about three years in this country and abroad in various military units. After being released from active duty in January, 1945, Fr. Morford returned to his charges in Morrison and Sterling, and he officiated until his death a few years later. (1952)
It is a small Church, but its faith and devotion are large. Its services alternated between 9 o’clock Eucharist and the 5 PM Evening Prayer during Fr. Morford’s and Fr. Hibish services.
Written in the Year of Our Lord 1956 by: Marcus M. Lucas
**From a: Handwritten history continued by Fr. Heschle
1958 – 60 Howell pipe Organ installed (1980 – revoiced) (1981 – rebuilt)
Since Fr. Lucas left in 1965, the mission has been served by the following priests: 1965-1968 The Revd. Don Moon; 1968-1971 The Revd James L. Steele; 1971-1975 The Revd John Reishus; 1976-1978 The Revd D. Robert Seay; 1979- The Revd. John H. Heschle Jr.+
The Church was totally redecorated in a plain, simple manner under Fr. Moon. Fr. Steele, the first of the Sterling Curate-Vicar’s, designed & obtained the Lenten Array & Gold Sets of Vestments. Fr. Seay began the present (’79 - ) renovation of the near 100 yr. old Building. Restoration & practicality are present Building projects Key Words.
April 1980 Fr. Heschle+
**From a: History of an Endowed Mission continued. September 21, 1982, St. Matthew’s Day
The present Vicar, Father J.H. Heschle Jr. has committed the growing congregation to a number of projects. Since the last installment (April 1980) the Church, through a Venture in Mission grant gutted the interior of the 1884 Church to restructure, insulate & improve structural difficulties. The work lasted from Jan – Mar 1981 at which time the congregation set up a chapel in the Undercroft. The interior of the Nave, Sanctuary & Sacristy were gutted & rebuilt with a new support system which allowed the elimination of the tie-rods which previously held the building up.
The walls were straightened, rewired, insulated & new wall board with complete remodeling. The Sanctuary floor was parqued in hard wood, new lighting fixtures, pews refinished & better stations of the cross as a continuance of the Fr. Lucas Memorial. A new altar rail replaced the 1966 round one. A falling-apart pulpit (1954) was disposed of as not fitting the original “Steam-boat Gothic” architecture. The McKim Memorial Lecturn now serves as Lecturn-Pulpit, fitting the new liturgical idea that there be one place from which the Word of God is read & proclaimed. The St. Ann & Our Lady Shrine, originally a Faith Fitzgerald Memorial that was destroyed in the 1966 modernization was restored by memorial gifts. The new statue is solid carved walnut carved by Mr. David Seagreaves, an Episcopalian from Elizabeth, IL. It took over a year from design to dedication on All Saints Day 1981
then a garage & new
vinyl siding added. Finally re land scaping & repaired
shutters are added (1983). Our plans
include a new bell tower (rebuilt) for the Church, a new roof, and a new
bathroom in the Undercroft. In 1982 with
an increase in the congregation & Church School the Undercroft was divided
with curtains for more class room space, and room in the Farm Bureau used for
Assistant Ministers/Vicars listed on page 32 of the Canonical Church Register (Register #2 1904 - 1993)
Mr. Hay, Seminarian – began June 1903 – terminated November 15th 1903
Eli Croft Gear, Seminarian – November 1903 – July 1905
Albert Edward Selcer, Seminarian – June 5th 1907 – Sept. 22nd, 1907
Edwin Weary, priest - Sterling – January 7, 1906
George John Zinn – Nov. 1, 1908
A.B. Whitcombe – 1910
William O. Butler – March 1st 1910 – March 1st 1916
Robert Phillips – 1915
Walter B. Reed – 1917
Giles Herbert Shapley – 1918
John Henry Parsons – 1919 – 1924
Albert Whitcombe – 1924 – 1931 July
H.B. Zigler – July 1931 – Nov. 1931
H.T. Bakewell – Nov. 1931
Holland L. Church – Oct. 15, 1933 – March 15, 1936
Edwin B. Thayer – April 19, 1936 – Nov. 13, 1938
Ernest W.S. Scully – February 1, 1939 – 1941
Fr. Bernger, supply – 1943 – 1946
Fr. Wm. R. Wetherell – 1943 – 1946
K.A. Morford – Feb. 1942-43 & 46-51 – died 1952
Marcus M. Lucas – Dec. 1954 – July 1, 1965*[First Vicar resident in Morrison]
Don Pardee Moon – July 1, 1965 – July 1, 1968
James L. Steele+ - July 1, 1968 – June 30, 1971
John H. Reishus – July 1, 1971 – Dec. 1975
D. Robert Seay – June 6, 1976 – July 31, 1978
John Henry Heschle, Jr.+ Vicar – January 1979
(Deacon – 12/20/78 – Priest 6/29/79 at Grace, Sterling. 6/30/79 1st Mass at St. Anne’s Morrison. Received as Vicar by Dean Willoughby on Sept. 14, 1979 at St. Anne’s Morrison.)
1st Rector of Parish Jan. 12, 1986 Annual Meeting.
From: St. Anne’s ECW Recipe Collection, September 1991
Children of Grace:
Historical Notes on an Episcopal Parish in Morrison Known as the Church of St. Anne